Foundation II : The threshold to formal school education
Lead Teacher : Arifa Sultana
At Little Red Hen Preschool, the child development and learning between five and six years is consolidated under the Foundation II Learning Program, which we consider the threshold to formal school education.
During this period children are now building a stronger sense of their own identity and their place in a wider world. Children are learning to recognise the importance of social rules and customs, to show understanding and tolerance of others, and to learn how to be more controlled in their own behaviour.
Learning and playing in small groups helps to foster the development of social skills. Children now become better able to plan and undertake more challenging activities with a wider range of materials for making and doing.
- Circle time / Music and movement Rhymes / Show and tell / Vocabulary enrichment through reading and story time, rhythm and balance
- Literacy : Listening, speaking, reading and writing
- Numeracy : Number work, mathematical ideas and reasoning and problem solving
- Snack time : Time to share with friends
- World around us : Investigate and think about the world